Ph.D. Student in Film and Digital Media, September 2017 – Present
University of California, Santa Cruz
MA in Visual and Critical Studies, 2014
California College of the Arts
BA in Philosophy and Psychology, 2000
University of San Francisco
Lecturer and Curator, 2016
Department of Digital Art and New Media, University of California, Santa Cruz
- Planned lessons and assignments for exhibition production
- Served as MFA exhibition curator
- Provided academic and professional guidance related to artistic practice and curation
Santos, D. “Gamescapes: At Play in the Landscapes of Ideology (provisional title)” in Art Journal. College Art Association, 2019. manuscript in progress
Santos, D. “Materiality to Machines: Manufacturing the Organic and Hypotheses for Future Imaginings” in The Routledge Companion to Biology in Art and Architecture. Routledge Press, 2016.
“Entangling Art and Biology: Bioart and Beyond,” College Art Association, panelist. New York, New York, 2017
“Singularities,” Transmediale: art and digital culture festival, panelist. Berlin, Germany, 2017
“Tumblr and Art Appropriation,” FACETS Conference, NYU Magnet, panelist. New York, New York, 2016
“Automated Personality,” Theorizing the Web Conference, Keynote panel, panelist. New York, New York, 2016
“100 Years of Robot Art and Science in the Bay Area,” de Young Museum, panelist. San Francisco, California, 2015
“Ethics of New Media Symposium,” Drake University, speaker. Des Moines, Iowa, 2015
“Border/Media/Bodies,” Critical Information Conference, School of Visual Arts, panelist. New York, New York, 2014
“Collaboration, Community, and Crisis: a Roundtable on Filipino/American Art Now,” American Studies Conference, panelist. Los Angeles, California, 2014
“You are what you post,” Theorizing the Web, panelist. New York, New York, 2013
HONORS AND AWARDS
Eugene V. Cota-Robles Fellowship, UC Santa Cruz, 2017 – present
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Fellowship, Citizenship, 2016 – 2017
Editor-in-Chief, 2017 – present
- Review pitch submissions for online publication.
- Oversee editorial process and calendar.
- Mentor senior editors and junior staff.
- Partner with co-editor-in-chief to manage development efforts and finances with the fiscal sponsor.
Art Editor, 2012 – 2017
- Serve as an editor on short and long-form essays and articles for the art and culture section of the print publication.
- Coordinate edit schedule for contributors with the managing editor.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- College Art Association (CAA)
- New Media Caucus (NMC), A College Art Association Affiliate Society
- Fembot Collective
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies
- Asian American Journalists Association